About Me

My photo
Hello, hope you all enjoy the Blog.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Democracy In Action Award.

                                                    THE UNION LEAGUE CLUB OF CHICAGO,
Presented me with the Democracy In Action Award
The Award was offered to juniors or seniors that have shown exemplary leadership to their communities.  Who's actions have advanced civic involvement by young people.  The Honorees are invited to George Washington's Birthday celebration, to be recognized for their achievements.


-First Place Honoree: Hye Kim a senior at Lincoln Park High School.
-Second Place Honoree: Jennifer Velazquez a junior at Kelvyn Park High School.
-Third Place Honoree: Christopher Cirrincione a senior at Elk Grove High School.

The night continued with a speech my Mayor Daley. His Speech was suitable he talked about how Charter schools are so GREAT and are well prepared in giving students a education. were if he had noticed NOT ONE student who won the award was from a Charter School. we were all from PUBLIC SCHOOLS.  Its amazing to see that with the right effort and the right motivation students are able to go really far in life.  Just ask me, I would have never thought of seeing myself with this award.  Having placed 2nd in the city! was a huge surprise for me. I do what I love and I never thought it would lead to something like this, but I'm grateful it did. 
"I hope that with this example I am able to reach out to people and inspire them to fight for change, equality, and in what they believe."- Jennifer.V

No comments:

Post a Comment